21 Oct Now recruiting: Product Designer
Block are searching for an enthusiastic and passionate product designer to take designs from concept to market.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a dedicated and creative studio based in a beautiful part of Cornwall linked by a direct rail service to London.
Our new product designer will work collaboratively to achieve sales targets through innovative design. The role offers the chance to experience the full commercial design process, with the opportunity to travel in the UK and abroad to gain market knowledge and product insights to develop winning designs, within brand guidelines.
Block was formed in 2000 by designer Tara Ashe, whose purpose was to bring colour to the fore of intelligent product design.
Block is now internationally represented in stores varying from The Conran Shop, MoMA New York and the Royal Academy in London.
We are a passionate, ambitious and conscientious team. Our design studio is located in a converted Forge on the edge of the Port Eliot Estate on the Cornwall /Devon Border at St Germans, with great access being a few minutes’ walk from the train station and just off the main A38.
• Create a range of designs within the realms of the brand family through a collaborative process
• Participate and initiate design ideas within monthly design meetings
• Progress all aspects of the design process to completion
• Liaise with sales and marketing colleagues and key customers to create saleable products
• Manage and implement our social media strategy through photography which documents the design process and supports product launches
• Attend trade shows and events and support the MD and sales manager during client visits in the UK and abroad
Nature of work undertaken
Reporting to the Managing Director, the new product designer will oversee the full design process to include: liaising with manufacturers in the UK and overseas; creating CAD designs for manufacture; putting together strong marketing proposals through to packaging; creating strong point of sale materials and working with sales to create successful product launches within agreed time and cost parameters. Designers at Block are also involved in reviewing sales of new and existing products and play a key role in the annual team review of the brand manual.
Product Designer: skills, qualifications and attributes
• Degree in product design or similar field
• Proficient in CAD, 3D modelling and 2D engineering drawings
• Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite such as Photoshop and Illustrator
• Good sketching skills
• Good photography skills
• A passionate, ambitious and creative individual
• A supportive and collaborative team player
• Excellent organisational, interpersonal and communications skills with timely follow through
• Willingness and ability to work within agreed product design time and cost parameters
• Ability to attend trade shows and visit key customers in the UK and abroad from time to time to gain product and market insights
• Ability to understand a brand and ability to work inside the guidelines
• Ability to use colour within your designs
For further information and to apply
Please apply on-line via gradcornwall.co.uk by attaching your CV and a formal covering letter, outlining why you feel you are suitable for the role. Please state in your letter the place where you first heard of this vacancy.
Closing date for applications
5th November 2016